Snow Plowing – 2/21/2012

Hello everyone –

As it seems many were, I was surprised to wake up this morning and not have our street plowed. The main roads were plowed but the side roads hadn’t been completed in our neighborhood. Maybe it was the lack of snow this winter to get us accustomed to what is a lot of snow or not! With the warm temps and melting today it would have been fine just a messy morning commute getting to the main roads.

I looked into it and found out that Shakopee has a 2″ trigger and start plowing after the snow is finished. The guys were good enough to plow even though we didn’t quite reach that amount. They were running a bit slow this morning in getting around by the time we went to work on some roads but all were done this morning.

Our snow removal policy is reviewed and adopted annually. We will look at the plowing and salting triggers in the policy when it is reviewed this spring. Snow removal is a fine art and the Public Works Department does a great job of balancing service and costs.

Do you think last night’s snow was enough to plow? I appreciate your comments!

Have a great day!

Brad

7 Responses to Snow Plowing – 2/21/2012

1. Pennagirl February 22, 2012 at 1:27 pm #

II find it very interesting, that on a Saturday night, with the threat of snow the plows are out and placing deicer down. But when we get 3-4 inches our side street, right off of Vierling and Marschall, isn’t touched for at least 2-3 days or if at all. I still have a issue with the schools opening on time and the city doesn’t care if the roads or done or the city owned sidewalks are clear and the kids walking are walking on the street especially on Marschall and 10th. The school district says they base the decision on the city and the school bus company’s opinion. Does the city still ticket homeowners for not clearing their sidewalks? If they do, the city better start ticketing themselves. Yes, last night was enough to plow, especially since it was heavy, wet and the temperature was freezing or near freezing.

2. bradtabke February 22, 2012 at 1:33 pm #

When was it that we got 3-4″ and your street wasn’t plowed for 2-3 days? I think public works has always done a great job with snow removal – even though they do plow the entire cul-de-sac into my driveway ;)

Here is the snow policy for the city. It spells out when/how things get cleared.

Let me know in the future if you ever have a problem like you stated and we’ll handle it.

Brad

• Pennagirl February 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

It was either December or January. They do not clear sidewalks. Sorry, I have almost hit kids walking to the middle school or junior high because the sidewalks are not clear and they are walking in the street. In the winter when it’s still dark out it is even harder to see the kids. Many neighborhoods don’t have sidewalks and the kids have to walk to school. My issue is when the snow removal trucks are out in anticipation of a storm and it seems always to be on the weekend, but during the workweek…nothing. So you say the snow removal is good…I have lived in four neighborhoods in Shakopee for the past 15 years…and all of my neighborhoods seem to be an after thought or not thought about at all in snow removal. Complaining does nothing. Southbridge, Presidential, north of the new high school and now in the area near the old Kmart. And the city doesn’t care if the knock down your mailbox; it’s just a casualty of snow removal.

3. Pennagirl February 22, 2012 at 1:41 pm #

Thanks for listening!

• bradtabke February 22, 2012 at 1:47 pm #

I will always listen – may not always agree – but please let me know when things happen and we’ll work as hard as we can to take care of them.

And you’re right – mailboxes are your own…

Brad

4. Sean February 22, 2012 at 9:47 pm #

I agree with the existing policy. This snowfall was not enough to trigger plowing. From my reading of the policy you linked above, the policy is in place to balance the cost of plowing versus the risk or inconvenience of snow on the road. Two inches seems reasonable, especially given the unusually warm winter we’ve had. Personally I had no issue getting out of my neighborhood and didn’t even notice slipperiness.

I am curious why the plowing did in fact occur if the policy states 2 inches and only 1.5 were measured. This occurrence doesn’t seem to fall into the exceptions listed. I assume the cost of the plowing was already paid for and that deciding not to plow would not have saved any money.

• bradtabke February 24, 2012 at 5:54 am #

Thanks, Sean. The policy is an old one that needs to be revised with a little more nuance than a cut and dry above or below 2″. In a city our geographic size it brings up questions like: Where was it measured? What time do we make the decision? Is it drifting? Is it going to freeze solid? Things like that.

Public works made the right call to plow. It was nearly 2″ of heavy, wet snow that if they hadn’t plowed, would have been pure ice in many places the following evening. The plowing was not already paid for, but it was normal work time and therefore didn’t cost the city any extra by working the hours they did. Does that answer your question?