Shakopee Prison Escape – 12/2/13

Prison on the left, Sweeney Elementary on the right.

Prison on the left, Sweeney Elementary on the right.

Tonight, a prisoner escaped from the Minnesota Correctional Facility in Shakopee, Minnesota. The Shakopee Police Department was alerted of the escape at 7:00 pm and apprehended the criminal 23 minutes later in a residential neighborhood not far from the prison.

A Code Red alert was being prepared when the criminal was taken into custody. The investigation is ongoing.

Thankfully, no one was hurt or injured in this escape but it was entirely preventable. This prison is regrettably located in a residential area and has no fence on it’s perimeter. For years, the Department of Corrections has been denied a request by the Minnesota Legislature for funding to build a fence best fitting the character of a residential neighborhood.

Today’s escape dramatically underscores the need to build a fence around MCF-Shakopee. It was a completely unnecessary risk that must be corrected in the 2014 legislative session through the bonding bill or special legislation.

When escapes happen at a prison with no fence that houses nonviolent and violent criminals, today’s event is the best possible outcome. I thank the Department of Corrections, the Shakopee Police Department and our neighboring departments for their extraordinary work in containing this situation.

The Shakopee City Council along with our local legislative representatives support building a fence around the prison. Let us hope the Minnesota Legislature supports it as well in the 2014 legislative session.

Brad Tabke, Mayor
952.225.3124

Previous articles on MCF-Shakopee
DOC Powerpoint on the MCF-Shakopee escapes, intrusions and fence bonding request

12 Responses to Shakopee Prison Escape – 12/2/13

1. bradtabke December 3, 2013 at 9:09 am #

I have been getting a few questions about the facility. Here are some facts:

The original facility was built in 1919 on the north side of 6th. It moved to it’s current location, next to Sweeney Elementary (built in 1967) in 1986. The surrounding neighborhood was built in the 1940s.

In 1986, the Correctional Facility had 86 offenders. In 2013, it had 644.

Since 1995, 7 offenders have escaped and 18 planned escapes were stopped. One escapee was apprehended in a home west of the current facility.

In addition, people going into the facility is a large safety issue for the staff and inmates. 19 intrusions have been documents over the past 5 years.

The bonding request is $5.4 million to plan and construct a modern-day perimeter fence fitting a residential setting.

2. Chris Turcotte December 3, 2013 at 12:10 pm #

Uff daa! After reading this, I would hope the fence construction would be a no brainer for the state.

3. Sara L. December 3, 2013 at 4:01 pm #

A fence? Really? So he gets past every other safeguard in place at a State Facility and we really think that fence would have prevented the actual excape.

I have some swamp land for sale in Florida if ANYONE is interested.

• bradtabke December 3, 2013 at 5:25 pm #

A fence won’t prevent every escape but would have kept this one from happening.

4. Chris Turcotte December 3, 2013 at 5:20 pm #

Sara-

It is a female Correctional Facility, so he is a she.

She took off running for the facility’s perimeter on her way back to her living unit. So yes, I believe a fence would have prevented the escape.

5. Divorce Papers Gastonia City North Carolina January 11, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

What i do not understood is if truth be told how you’re no
    longer actually a lot more smartly-appreciated than you might be right now.

You are very intelligent. You already know thus significantly on the subject of this topic, produced me for my part consider it from so many various angles.
    Its like women and men don’t seem to be involved except it is
    something to do with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs outstanding.
    At all times maintain it up!

6. Chaz February 21, 2014 at 10:52 am #

The truth be told here. There are many electronic safeguards in place at this facility. There are underground sensors, and when anyone walks across that property, the guards inside know. Lets stop making it seem like its a free for all going on inside because it is not.

7. free credit cards March 24, 2014 at 2:45 pm #

I’m no longer sure where you’re getting your info, however good topic.
    I must spend a while learning more or understanding more.
    Thank you for wonderful info I used to be on the lookout for this information
    for my mission.

8. how to hack zombie diary survival March 24, 2014 at 7:05 pm #

We are a gaggle of volunteers and opening a brand new scheme in our
    community. Your website provided us with useful info to work on.
    You have done a formidable job and our whole group will probably
    be grateful to you.

9. gainesville condominiums March 27, 2014 at 5:56 pm #

I’m amazed, I have to admit. Rarely do I encounter a blog that’s both equally educative and engaging, and let me tell you, you have hit the nail on the
    head. The problem is an issue that not enough folks are speaking intelligently about.
    I am very happy I found this in my search for something regarding this.

10. seo katalogi March 29, 2014 at 6:59 pm #

Hi, i think that i saw you visited my website so i came to return the desire?.I am trying to find things to improve my website!I guess its adequate to use a few
    of your ideas!!

11. paleo diet food list and recipes April 9, 2014 at 7:37 pm #

Paleo diets produce your body illness free and for this significant cause we have to
    acquire these weight loss plans in addition to these kinds of may help us
    in order to reduce each of our disorders. Paleo
    weight loss plans usually are a lot very good after that you’ll find almost any diet regime and
    soon after feeding on you can find your system will end up changed and you will turn out to be very much lively and also sturdy in which not
    any function will not difficult task you that you’re going to not necessarily do that perform.

paleo diet food list and recipes